Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:08:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q about locate

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, chip wrote:

> When I tried:
> locate termcap
> I received this response:
> locate: database too small: /var/db/locate.database
> Is there something I need to do to fix this problem? The man page doesn't
> cover this.
>
> --
> Chip

The locate database is build once a week in the middle of the night
from a cron instruction in /etc/crontab.  If your computer won't be
on then or you want it built sooner (or rebuilt to reflect new stuff),
run as root /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb, or in the /etc directory
type
periodic weekly

That runs what cron would run--the weekly maintenance routines.

Also, typing apropos locate would have listed the locate.updatedb
manual page...reading the locate manual page would show you the
following (just in case you don't want to have to ask):

/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb     Script to update the locate database

	Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC