Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 03:29:20 -0400
From:      Justin Wells <jread@semiotek.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can I automatically upgrade a large number of ports?

I first posted this to freebsd-questions, but nobody there seemed to
know the answer.

I just supped my ports collection again, and once again used pkg_version
to extract a list of all the ports that had changed, selected some, and
manually upgraded them by doing a pkg_delete and a make install.

Boy this is tedious.

I would like to issue a single command that goes off and grabs the
newest ports, finds out what I have installed that is now obsolete,
and upgrades just those packages. If it can't do every single package
well ok--if it can do the majority that would be great (I know
pkg_version doesn't accurately assess everything, but it gets most
of it right).

I tried writing a script to do this, based on pkg_version, but it
turned out to be dangerous and difficult:

   -- I don't want to pkg_delete until I know that I've got the
      new version all compiled and configured; otherwise I might
      wipe out something important. pkg_delete complains anyway if
      I try to do this

   -- If I don't run pkg_delete then I get multiple versions of the
      same port installed, one over the other. The package database
      gets all messed up, and worse yet, pkg_version stops reporting
      useful information about that port (too many versions installed).

   -- It's tricky relating a package name back to a directory in
      /usr/ports. Are they guaranteed to be unique? Can I do a
      cd /usr/ports/*/rsync and be sure there will never, ever
      be a /usr/ports/games/rsync as well as the one I want?

Anyway, it seems like I should be able to do:

     cd /usr/ports
     cvsup supfile
     make install_upgrades

and have it all taken care of. Is there a way?

Justin