Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2017 04:41:00 +0100
From:      Sydney Meyer <meyer.sydney@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow Download Speeds from AWS S3

Here is a 100MB random file in the Frankfurt region:

http://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/43cf34497f/random.raw

Sydney

> On 18 Feb 2017, at 04:31, Sydney Meyer <meyer.sydney@googlemail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi Steve,
>=20
> sure, but i have deleted the bucket already.. i'll set a new one up =
quickly.. do you have a specific aws region which you prefer?
>=20
> Sydney
>=20
>> On 18 Feb 2017, at 04:26, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> Hey Sydney, I've had some feedback from other team members and armed =
with this info I'm having a crack at enabling receive buffer =
auto-scaling using RTT estimations when timestamps aren't available.
>>=20
>> I don't have any S3 buckets to tests with so Is there any chance you =
pop up your test file again for me?
>>=20
>>   Regards
>>   Steve
>>=20
>> On 16/02/2017 16:55, Sydney Meyer via freebsd-net wrote:
>>> Hi Steve,
>>>=20
>>> increasing the buffer size did indeed enhance throughput.
>>>=20
>>> I am obviously not an expert in this field, but i don't understand =
why or if the TCP Receive Window Size shouldn't increase automatically.
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2014-August/039495.html
>>>=20
>>> Thank you for your tip, however..
>>>=20
>>> Sydney
>>>=20
only on FreeBSD. Other OSes saturate the connection without problems.
S3 in different regions (Ireland, London, Frankfurt, US Standard have =
been tested) whilst using fetch, curl, et. al.
and VMware VMs, routed setups and direct pppoe links.. all the same.
http://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/4f48caf1d8bcbef8/c5b38f8b3625d2b6/zer=
ofile.raw
"Share with my Mac"-Interface, the machine is doing completely fine, as =
in saturates the link, 90Mbps otherwise between 12-15Mbps..
the isp-provided router box, with the same result.
there seems to be the same issue. Downloading from S3 is multiple times =
slower than any other connection to services outside of S3 or on any =
other OS.