Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2000 19:30:16 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        ph0d@scr3am.com
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

ph0d@scr3am.com wrote:

> I've got one currently and my FreeBSD box can do 3000-3300kBytes a second
> without any complaints..
>
> Full duplex has it's advantages, no doubt

I don't think that you realy need a switch to achieve
this speed on an empty network. With two machines
connected to a 3Com 24-port 100Mbps hub (simplex)
I had no problems achieving ~8MB/s on one FTP transfer
and over 4MB/s on each of two FTP transfers running
in opposite directions at the same time, when the
network is otherwise idle. Cheap hubs (including that
D-Link) tend to choke even at moverate load and lose
packets but good hubs have no such problem.
I've ran 14 FTP transmissions in parallel through 7
cards connected to this hub with quite good results,
the average of total speed was over 7.8MB/s (started
all transfers at once, looked at the time it took the
last transfer to finish, divided the total size of
all transfers by this time - so, because some of
the transfers finished earlier the peak speed was
higher).

> On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > >     Prices have fallen a lot in the last year.  I'm happy to be able to
> > >     get rid of my HUBs, I was constantly having to deal with packet loss
> > >     when running saturation tests and never able to figure out what
> > >     was causing it.
> >
> > I have a good reason to revive this thread.  I thought anyone who followed
> > this conversation might want to know that one of the switches we dicussed,
> > the Netgear FS-105, is on a special at CompUSA right now -- THROUGH TOMORROW.

-SB