Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 07:32:51 -0400
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@shell.wetworks.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcmcia fails to identify cards (4.0-stable cvsup 2000-06-26)

An SMTP stream claimed that Darryl Okahata muttered:

> > Jun 26 20:28:36 i pccardd[50]: No card in database for "(null)"("(null)")
>
>      Well, as you've given very little information, I'll take a wild-***
> guess and say that you're probably seeing a memory conflict.  If this is
> a desktop, I'd guess that the conflict is with a SCSI controller,
> probably fixable via iomem settings.  For some hints, see item #3 in the
> "TROUBLESHOOTING" section of:
>
> 	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=69971+95875+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-mobile/20000528.freebsd-mobile

This got it.  I find it a bit disconcerting that nowhere in dmesg did it
show that anything was using the memory region around 0xd0000 and yet
that turned out to be the problem.   I *HATE* pc hardware.... I really do.

Thanks to all that gave ideas on fixing the problem.  My wireless network
is once again working.

AlanC {now, to upgrade to WEP capable WaveLan cards..}