Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 21:27:46 +0100
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing from windows via Samba (printer found ok, but not printing)

Thanks for your reply.

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 10:31:31AM -0800, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> ..... what version of Samba ?

I am using 2.0.10. My fault probably. Sorry that I forgot to mention this.
I'll go through the process of updating it. It might help.

> ..... i had to go to Samba-2.2.2 and use the "new" (only in 2.2.2)
> smb.conf options of:
>
> use client driver = yes
> disable spoolss = yes
>
> and then I deleted "ALL" the printers drivers on the Windows-2000
> machine and when I setup the printer, found the printer share, I
> RE_loaded the printer driver(s) "DESPITE" Windows still showing them
> in it's database.
>
> it apparently, as the (2.2.2) manpage for smb.conf states, will
> allow the windows2000 box to "then" see the remote printer as a
> local one.  as _i_ understand it this is new in 2.2.2 and not in
> anything less than 2.2.2.
>
> all i know is that it works for me and now ALL the win2k boxes on my
> internal lan here at home prints to the Epson-777 Stylus Color
> inkjet without instance.

As I understand, having the printer driver on the Samba server is enough to
have as many boxes on a network being able to install the printer and use
it without having to download any driver software locally on the network
boxes. This printer is then recognized as a network printer. Is this what
you have too?

I am not really interested in "masqerading" a network printer as a local
one, since this seems not to Be The Way.

> I'll take a guess that those two sources of information (I own ALL
> the FreeBSD books including the latest "Unleashed.." were not
> printed "after" Samba-2.2.2, I may be wrong.

True, they both seem to document on 2.0.x. But according to these sources,
there sould be no problem in printing in that way.
It seems to me that the more I go into samba the more complicated it
becomes. Damn.

Thanks and regards
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos