Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:47:51 -0800
From:      inspector.us@omicnet.com
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86; what next?

Hello, David

If you've had a look at the error messages, do they tell you anything?  I am
going to try to install something else from the ports collection and see
how it goes.  Also, what applications should I think about adding, being a
newbie.  Ultimately, I'd like to make FreeBSD my firewall and internet/ftp
server, but I'd really like to learn how multimedia applications perform
under the UNIX environment, as well.  I suppose I need mail, cd audio,
and file-transfer capability.

Are there other [good] window environments (besides XWindows)?
Should I try another method of installation?
Though I select an installation without XWindows, it seems to me like it's
being installed by default anyway.  Can I avoid that?

Jolok