Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 03:33:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        ccd@stampede.cs.berkeley.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some more on fast bcopy

Hi Bruce.

 * >OK, I implemented it.  Will this work?
 *
 * It seems to work here.

Goodie. :)  I've been running this kernel on four machines around
here, and haven't noticed anything strange.  All I've seen is netscape
crashing with SIGFPE on some applets but that also happens with the
"slow" kernel so I guess it's not my bcopy's fault....

 * I missed that.  It would probably be cleanest to save it via %edx in
 * both cases.

Both cases?  Where is the other place that I need to save it?  (Sorry
for being so dumb.)

 * I'm running with a fast bzero (8 fstl's in a loop) too.  It is much simpler
 * than fastmove since it doesn't need to worry about context switches.  bcopy
 * need not worry either (except for bugs).

Ok, so I guess I can modify bcopy to use this and it would work too,
right?  Although I'm not sure how much that will help (I don't think
there are really big data movements from kernel space to kernel space,
are there?)....

Another place that it may help (and may fool lmbench and the likes :)
is libc, do I need to the complicated FP state save/restore in there
too?  Or can that be a simple fnsave/frstor?

Satoshi "the dumb one" Asami