Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 01:36:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Audio: how to record something?

In article <88fjfq$2dp4$1@bigeye.rhein-neckar.de> you write:
>Okay, so I have a soundcard and an audio source connected to its
>LINE IN port. Kernel support is there, too.
>
>How do I go about actually recording something?
>
>Presumably there are plenty of tools under ports/audio/. Where to
>start?

Well i had the same problem recently and didn't find anything in
there that seemed to do what i want (write, say, an hour to a file,
let alone cutting/editing that later...)

 Anyway, i just today finally connected the box properly to the
stereo (tape 2) and now i'm listening to some mix on bbc radio 1
(via satellite in case anyone wonders how i do that from .de :)
and when i hear something that sounds interesting enough that i'd
like to keep it i just hit return in another xterm.  i may also
have found a `real' audio editor in the meantime but that one still
needs work, at least on FreeBSD it doesn't yet record anything at
all. (and eg DAP is useless at these sizes, it seems to want to
keep the entire recording in memory...)

 Sooo...  expect a new port pr for gramofile+brec soon (see
http://cardit.et.tudelft.nl/~card06/), and maybe one for gmurf
later (see http://www.epita.fr:8000/~epx/projets/gmurf/), tho
if someone would like to take a look at what i currently have for
that to see whats wrong i'd appreciate it, otherwise it may not
be ready before the freeze. (because thats just a few days away...)

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
(remove dot foo from address to reply)