Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 13:38:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ian_stewart@nyro.com (Ian H. Stewart)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD be used in a commercial way?

> I am interested in using FreeBSD
> as a foundation for a complete OS.
> What is needed to use or license the
> 2.1 release so that we may sell it
> commercially with value.

You must observe the "due credit" clause of the UCB license when you
advertise specific features.  See the source files that implement
the features you are interested in advertising.

You can't advertise that derivation implies endoresement.

For GPL'ed components, you must not include them, or you must observe
the GPL license restrictions -- though *only* for those components.

There are kernel modules that are GPL.  They must not be linked into
the distributed kernel.  Specifically, there is a German ISDN driver.

No GPL components are required to build a working system.

Basically this boils down to:

1)	Rip out, replace, or include source for, GPL'ed components.
	For instance, you should use BSD PAX instead of GNU TAR if
	you plan on distributing completely without source, since tar
	is used for installation and package management.

2)	If you advertise specific features, you must give credit to
	the authors of those features.  For instance, if you advertise
	a unified VM and buffer cache, you have to creadit the people
	in /sys/vm/*.[ch] in the fine print without implying that
	they endorse your product (John Dyson & company).

3)	You have to include the credit clauses for everyone in the
	sources for the components you use.  This should take one
	or two pages of fine print (like the trademark acknowledgement
	page) in your distributed docuemntation.

Anyone else: feel free to correct me if you interpret the distribution
terms differently.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---