Date:      Tue, 01 Nov 2011 08:05:19 +0400
From:      Dmitry Samersoff <dms@samersoff.net>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java on ARM processor?

On 2011-11-01 02:53, Ronald Klop wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 03:26:41 +0200, Dmitry Samersoff <dms@samersoff.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-10-25 18:57, Greg Lewis wrote:
>>> As always, the biggest problem is going to be bootstrapping.  Since
>>> there
>>> isn't an existing FreeBSD/arm binary of openjdk7 you'll need to work
>>> around
>>> that.  There are a variety of ways you could tackle that.  The most
>>> common
>>> is to set up an NFS mount with an i386 or amd64 machine and remotely
>>> execute
>>> all of the java bootstrap steps while the C/C++ compilation occurs
>>> locally.
>>
>> I guess setup gcc cross-compilation on x86 box is much easier.
>>
>> -Dmitry
>>

> Hi,
>
> I am looking into this and I am afraid I am not seeing it right. How do
> I get a compiler running on amd64, but compiling for ARM? The stock
> FreeBSD gcc doesn't do this and I don't see a port which would do this
> except gnatdroid-armv5 which is specifically for android.
> Where is a 'regular' armv5-gcc version?

You have to download gcc and binutils sources and compile it manually.

e.g. step-by-step guide, change target from ppc to appropriate arm one.
http://cygwin.com/ml/crossgcc/2001-06/msg00039/cross-compiler-HOWTO.pdf

-Dmitry

--
Dmitry Samersoff