Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 23:53:30 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question re: NFS and permissions,

Hi all, there is probably an answer to this question in the online docs or
man pages, but I've yet to find it, so here goes...

I'm trying to export my /usr/ports directory, but when I attempt to put
/usr/ports in my exports file, mountd sends an error to syslog saying that
the entry is invalid because it "can't change permissions on /usr/ports".
Here is the offending line from /etc/exports:

/usr/ports    -maproot=0,ro   server # (server is my server's hostname)

And here are the permissions for /usr/ports:

drwxr-xr-x  root  wheel  /usr/ports

I can get /usr/src and /usr/obj to export fine, the only difference being
that a) they are mounted rw and not ro, and b) their permissions are as
follows:

drwxr-xr-x  bin   bin    /usr/src #same for /usr/obj

I would like to know both a solution and the reason why I am getting this
message.  Also, I am not subscribed to this list, so please cc: any replies
directly to me.  Thanks.