Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 14:00:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible change in the Qt port.

On 08-Nov-99 Ade Lovett wrote:
> Here's a thought (for QT/QT2 at least).  How about creating a qt2-config
> script (similar to gtk12-config, glib12-config, gnome-config and the
> rest of them) that takes a couple of simple arguments:
>
>       qt2-config --cflags
>       qt2-config --libs
>
> etc.. etc..
>
> and talk to the QT authors about getting such a script as part of the
> base QT system.
>
> Sure, until such a system is adopted (if at all) by those writing QT
> code, things are likely to continue to be a pain in the ass, but it's
> probably a good step in the right direction.

Great idea.. too bad it's going to be quite some time before such a config
script is adopted, if at all (just as you said). :\

>> Granted, it's not _THAT_ difficult, just seems quite an unnecessary
>> expenditure, and can seem like a big job when you have 10 or so patches
>> (like gnomelibs,xemacs,etc).  I probably speak for quite a few of the
>> porters around here..
>
> Me included :)  Probably a good 90% of the effort involved in bringing
> up a new version of a GNOME port is hacking the patches when the
> Makefile/configure files changed.  However, things are made substantially
> easier for GNOME with the use of 'gnome-config', the majority of the
> hacks are to put most everything (except locale information) under
> .../share/gnome/*, instead of just share/*

I thank God (I'm an atheist, which makes it even more ironic) every day that I
don't have to try to maintain that enormous thing! Same goes for XEmacs, KDE,
egcs/gcc-devel, etc. The people maintaining those deserve real credit! ;-)

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>