Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:47:49 -0600
From:      Vikram Kulkarni <vkulkarn@brownforces.org>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Journaling File Systems and Soft Updates confusion

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 10:26:19AM +1100, BSD Freak wrote:

> The whole point of a journaling file system on systems such as
> Linux/NT/Solaris etc. is not to increase performance but rather to
> avoid an 'fsck' when the server gets shutdown "uncleanly".

An fsck is needed when a filesystem is remounted after being uncleanly
unmounted. The purpose of the fsck is to ensure that all of the
filesystem data structures are in a consistant state.

Journaling provides a way to quickly restore a filesystem to a
consistant state on mount by maintaining an on disk log (the journal) of
filesystem data structure updates (often refered to as meta-data
changes). Before any operation modifies filesystem data structures is
started, it is entered into the journal. Then all of the data structures
are modified. Then the entry is removed from the journal. If this
process is interupted at any point by a forced unmounting of the
filesystem, the filesystem can be restored to a consistant state by
'replaying' the journal.

SoftUpdates work by ensureing that the filesystem is never in an
inconsistant state (it can also provide performance boosts) to begin
with. All operations that modify filesystem data structures are
reordered, and the dependencys tracked, in a way that ensures that the
file system is always in a consistant state.

(Yes gurus, I've glossed over things a bit...)

Read this paper for a detailed explination, and analysis:
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix2000/general/full_papers/seltzer/seltzer_html/index.html

-Vik

--
vikram kulkarni           There is probably no more terrible instant
vkulkarn@uiuc.edu         of enlightenment than the one in which you