Date:      	Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:05:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Broza <wwolf@mail.bc.rogers.wave.ca>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies list [was: partition spanning multiple drives]

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Joey Garcia wrote:

> Interesting....I'm running Slackware (version 3.4) Linux as we speak and I
> like it.  It's a bit hard to manage, but its fun.  I've only been using
> Linux for about 6 months. So far I have learned alot but I know that I
> have tons more to learn.  And the learning curve is steep for not matter
> what Unix distribution you use (I believe).  Although, I'd like to be more
> versatile and be able to work with any freenix (like FreeBSD, or Linux, or
> whatever).  The one thing about Linux that I do like is the support,
> there's tons of it (magazines, books, user groups, etc).

 Yes, linux does have support but so does FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD
you'll find alot support on various IRC networks ( ie. Dalnet or EFnet)
most of the these people find themselves very close together so they form
various groups often at the various universities. I got interesting in
Unix though the IRC's myself. started with Red Hat Linux 5.0 (hurricane)
tho I found it was buggy then switched to Slackware Linux 3.4 until
I was introduced to FreeBSD

> You've said that FreeBSD is more unstable....hmmmm....I've heard
> otherwise.  I've heard that FreeBSD is more stable than Linux.  But I
> guess that's a religous debate (maybe).  I guess it's sort of along the
> lines on FreeBSD is better than Linux, or vise versa.  The way I see it is
> that user have to keep an open mind and just use what the feel comfortable
> with.

Actually I found FreeBSD to more stable than any of the Linux OS.
Personally I think Linux was designed for the people who wishes to
experiment more. For one why FreeBSD is stable tho there are some Linux
servers which runs ircd ( Internet relay chat daemon ) there is problem
which cause a stack error causing the server to go down quite alot.

<snip>

> One more thing.  One thing I've been noticing is that alot of people bash
> Microsoft because they have monopoly or some crap.  You know, one reason
> why I'm even interested in FreeBSD is because I want to stray away a bit
> from Linux because they seem to be monopolizing the free-unix gig with all
> their books and magazines and stuff.  Let's try to unite as FreeBSD users
> to influence more media and faster development of FreeBSD.  So that we
> newbies can get the cool books, and magazines, and local user groups, etc.
> Hell, I'm interested in joining a FreeBSD user group.  I wonder if there
> is one in my area. :/ hmmmm  Anyways, I'm outtie.  Thanks for listening.
> Like Sue said, this is a place to chat, right?

Actually the only thing I found Windows95 offers is the ablities to run
games. It not monopoly etc. etc. What FreeBSD and Linux offers to the
users is a better control over your own computer. Win95 loads alot of
internal programs into TSR ( terminal stay resident ) which cause to use
up alot of your base memory as well as a larger portion to a swap file.

Actually we are united ;)

You'll find FreeBSD users everywhere.. ( ie. IRC's, UseNet ) there are
alot of publication available.. since FreeBSD is Unix you can use alot
references available for other Unix OS with a small exception here and
there. Well Linux is based after POSIX/MINUX OS most of the commands can
be used on this OS.

As regard to a User Group, Start one. Myself I'm not an expert also but
I have a few friends whom just want to get together whom are experienced
in Unix. but you don't have to be  totally knowledgable, just have an
interested in running and maintaining a Unix System.

> Joey Bear Garcia

Richard Broza aka WhiteWolf
SorceryNet IRC
IRCop of kechara.sorcery.net port#9000