Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:38:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        jpasski@kpmg.com
Subject:   Re: pkg_version

In article <mit.lcs.mail.freebsd-stable/7799D023E51ED311BFB50008C75DD7B402881AD7@uschiexc05.kweb.us.kpmg.com> you write:

>When trying to upgrade complex applications like XFree86 w/ Enlightenment &
>Gnome, is there a sequence that should be followed on what applications are
>updated first to last?

Here is a short shell script (can even be entered interactively if you
are using a Real Shell[tm]) which will tell you in which order the
stuff you currently needs to be built.  Reverse the list to find the
order in which they should be removed.

------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

cd /var/db/pkg

for a in *; do
    if [ -r ${a}/+REQUIRED_BY ]; then
	while read pkg; do
	    echo ${a} ${pkg}
	done <${a}/+REQUIRED_BY
    fi
done | tsort

If you see the error `tsort: cycle in data', then something is
seriously broken.  (It is conceivable that such cycles could be
formed.)  Note that the topological sort is not a full sort, so not
all of the ordering is meaningful, and this doesn't take
build-dependencies into account -- only run dependencies.  This
information could be extracted from the INDEX file by pkg_version.

-GAWollman