Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 11:24:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        branson@widomaker.com (Branson Matheson)
Cc:        kajtzu@iug.org, erik@il.ft.HSE.NL, questions@freebsd.org, Jos.Vissers@telebyte.NL, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User name length limit increase

According to Branson Matheson:
> On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Kaj J. Niemi wrote:

	[[ changing the default from 8 to 2N characters... ]]

>   It's like saying that I have all these nice new carbeurators for my
>   cars that will make them work better and faster .. but I don't want
>   to put it on this one car because it won't fit on the old intake.
>   Gimme a break.. replace the intake!
>
>  -branson

	In the my two-cents-worth department, I agree with this
	logic.  The 8-character-length was from the days when
	virtually no one saw the need for more than a few computers
	total in the universe.

	Times have changed.

	To the core group and other OS gurus, and whoever else
	may be interested, I pose this question: couldn't the
	8 be changed to, say, 64  without causing any hassles
	anywhere?  How does Sun, for one, get away with logins
	like `john.q.engineer@eng.sun.com'??

	gary kline