Date:      Sat, 09 Dec 2000 14:43:50 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com>
Cc:        Boris <koester@x-itec.de>, Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE

Roop Nanuwa wrote:

> Yep, that's exactly it.. everyone has their own opinion.. I've found that
> people are almost as passionate in their support of their GUI choice
> (KDE/GNOME etc) as they are about their OS families (*BSD, *nix, Win*) or
> they software licences (GNU, GPL)...
>
> I'll be the first to admit that installing KDE2 on FreeBSD is not a walk
> in the park.. but in my opinion the trouble is worth it.. I've used GNOME
> for about month altogether in the past, but I always went back to KDE
> eventually...

I looked at them for a about year and a half. KDE was the first one
that I was comfortable with.

The thing I have found about installing KDE-2 on 3 or 4 machines was
you had to let the meta port kde2 build everything belonging to kde-2.
I went down the list of build-requires and run-requires and made a
clean add of every one of them before I started my make and make
install in /usr/ports/x11/kde2. KDE-2 is sensitive to what it requires
and the meta port checks to see if qt2 is installed but you may need
qt-2.2.1_2. When you update your ports with a cvsup and then do a
clean installs, KDE-2 works on the first try and runs. I haven't had a
core since Kevlo fixed kde2multimedia2.

Kent

> RSN
>
> > Everyone has another opinion. The KDE Webbrowser K... is always
> > hanging up with a strange exception. Sometimes the menu bar has
> > doubled entries. Gnome applications seems to be faster (i mean the
> > gui). KDE is very SLOW. The CVS Server is very often not accessible
> > (overloaded) and so on. KDE is history for me. Maybe i will look
> > sometimes how the developing is going on but i am not interested in
> > coding apps for KDE at the moment or for the next months.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> >  Boris                            mailto:koester@x-itec.de

Kent Stewart