Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:33:46 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, Gregory Keefe <keefeg@keefeg.com>
Cc:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates

On Monday 15 April 2002 01:28 am, David Schultz wrote:
| Thus spake Gregory Keefe <keefeg@keefeg.com>:
| > Looking at DJB's claim again up top, I suspect that he desires his
| > software to really "mean it" when it responds to a client saying it
| > successfully received mail.  And the best definition of "mean it" in
| > this context is that the mail is safely written to disk (I'd
| > personally go a step further and have it safely written to a cluster
| > of servers' disks, but that's certainly not reasonable for most
| > environments).  If softupdates indeed compromises that feature,
| > though, then couldn't a faint shadow of doubt be cast over the
| > reliability of the entire default install?

The fact that the default install enabled write caching is a much more
serious issue in terms of reliability, I should think, and neither is a big
problem unless you don't have UPS/backup.

Well, ok, softupdates can be a problem with panics and write caching cannot,
but panics aren't at all likely if a system is doing is usual operations, and
if you are "fiddling" with the system (which is whan a panic is likely to
occur if ever), you shouldn't be doing it while the system is "live" if
reliability is so important--you should be running the live server off
another machine.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org