Date:      Sat, 3 Sep 2005 14:24:10 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org, aiko@antigone.net, martin@NetBSD.org
Subject:   New ISDN driver for NetBSD in the works

Hi,

I suspect that there are people on this list that are using NetBSD. The port
of my ISDN driver for NetBSD has progressed alot in the last couple of days,
and there is not very much left.

I am looking for some feedback. What there is currently is a downloadable and
compilable kernel module for NetBSD:

fetch http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/temporary/devfs.tar.bz2

Extract this file, "cd devfs", "make all", and "modload devfs.o". Note the
module will not load, hence there are some undefined symbols.

I have done like I have written earlier, and that is to make a small library
that emulates FreeBSD on NetBSD. In compressed form, this library is 10% of
the total package, so it is not that bad. If more software will use it, then
the benefit will be greater.

First of all I must say that the device structure found in NetBSD 2.x.x is
very old-fashioned, and looks like what was used in FreeBSD 3/4. Actually I
recommend NetBSD to take after FreeBSD at this point. If someone has got any
comments, I am open for that.

Currently I have a set of files I don't know where to put. After extracting
the referred tarball, "find devfs/* |grep freebsd_", will show those files.
This is a little troublesome, because there can only be one FreeBSD emulator
in the kernel at a time, due to conflicting symbols, so maybe this should be
put in some other subdirectory than "/usr/src/sys/netisdn" ?

For those that do not know what my ISDN driver is about, it is a modern ISDN
driver that supports multiple D-channel protocols, NT-mode and TE-mode, E1,
CAPI20 and alot more.

--HPS