Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:52:31 -0500
From:      Matthew Fuller <fullermd@linkfast.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ViM vs. Emacs

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 09:16:28PM +0530, a little birdie told me
that Rahul Siddharthan remarked

> Suppose you want to go back only part of the way? You did some
> complicated stuff which you want to keep, then you did some other
> complicated stuff which you want to undo. With vim you just need to
> keep pressing "u" till you're satisfied. With nvi you may not be able
> to do it.
>
> Being used to the vim keybindings, I initially thought nvi didn't have
> multiple undo.  Then I found it did, and started using it, but then I
> got into the above situation a few times and didn't like it, so it's
> "alias vi vim" now.

The way it is makes sense to me.
u undo's your last change.  Then you keep hitting '.' to keep undoing
back as far as you want.
Hitting 'u' again instead of '.' lets you undo the undo's, which is FAR
more valuable then continuing to undo.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@linkfast.net