Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 13:22:32 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Jim Mock <jim@advocacy.FreeBSD.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Splash Screens (was Re: 3.2-RELEASE Feedback)

Ok, I didn't know what to do with:

     include /boot/loader.4th
     start

which were already in this file, so I commented them out.  I was lucky.
It works just fine, even with VESA mode.

So I went splash shopping.  The pics on:

   http://advocacy.freebsd.org/ammunition/splash.html

are nice, but I found I preferred the logo at the top of the page the best.
Just snipped "The" and "ADVOCACY PROJECT", added a white background, and
it's a perfect VESA splash.  Thanks to Jim Mock <jim@advocacy.FreeBSD.org>
who cooked this pic.

One more question.  The VESA module: what mode does it decide to switch to?
Does it pick the first 8bpp palettized VESA mode registered which is bigger
than the pic?  Will it switch up to modes like 1280x1024, if registered
with VESA?  Just curious.

Thanks for your help,

Randall

Dag-Erling Smorgrav:

 |Put the following in /etc/loader.rc:
 |
 |load kernel
 |load -t splash_image_data chuck.bmp
 |load splash_bmp
 |autoboot 5
 |
 |(If you want to use a PCX image instead of BMP, just replace
 |splash_bmp with splash_pcx. It has a smaller footprint.)
 |
 |Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net> writes:
 |> Even after reading it though, I didn't get it going.  It says you can run
 |> this from the loader prompt:
 |>
 |>            load kernel
 |>            load -t splash_image_data chuck.bmp
 |>            load splash_bmp
 |>
 |> You can't (or I couldn't at least).  "load kernel" goes off and does just
 |> that, never returning to the loader prompt.  So thinking about patching
 |> loader.rc, I followed splash(4)'s directions and tried to consult the
 |> loader.rc(5) man page (to learn what to add where, what not to change,
 |> etc.).  But there is no loader.rc man page.
 |
 |There is a loader(8) man page.

 |'load kernel' loads the kernel in memory. It does not boot the kernel.
 |'boot' and 'autoboot' do that.