Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:32:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Bumgarner <bbum@codefab.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port problems on clean install

Interesting.   I will have to write up some feedback regarding the installation
process-- there are aspects of it that left me a bit befuddled.  I come from a
background of numerous years of dealing with NeXTSTEP/OpenStep/Linux/Solaris, so
I'm not a novice.   However, I'm no admin, either...

In brief, more explicit mention of:

	- driver config UI does *not* include PCI devices (it would also be
helpful to have a probe-and-reconfigure option... i.e. config something, do a
probe, see what happens, adjust config, repeat...)

	- Setting the time shoul mention something about daylight savings time

	- if the ports directory won't build off of the CD image as downloaded
(this was not a nightly image, but a -STABLE) and the instructions for updating
it would be helpful.

	- a brief mention/inventory of the tools/processes used to do an update;
i.e. "Before you try to build a port, make sure you use 'cvsup blah blah blah'
to upgrade the ports directory".

	- the xemacs/emacs packages are confusing;  I still haven't found which
package actually contains a xemacs binary.  Do I have to install the MULE
version??

In general, the documentation/howtos/handbooks/etc are excellent;  incredibly
helpful and some of the best documentation around-- better than things I have
PAID for.

However, they reflect that the authors are generally people that know this stuff
inside and out from a very FreeBSD oriented perspective.  Documentation that is
slightly less centric to that background would be very helpful.

In any case, thank you for the feedback-- I can try to actually turn some of
this criticism into useful additions to the documentation, if that would be
useful.

thanks again!

b.bum