Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:59:21 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is this box so slow?

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:55:15PM +0200, Marc Schneiders wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD 4 stable on a Pentium II 300 with sufficient RAM,
> I think. Nevertheless certain things are very, very slow. A buildworld
> takes days. Also opening a large (18 MB file) with vi doesn't work out
> for ages. (I am now waiting 5 minutes and still nothing to edit...)

I have (4) nearly identical Dell Optiplex PII-300's with FreeBSD. IIRC
about 2 hours to "make buildworld" on 3 of the 4. 64MB RAM. No X11.
After much investigation the 4th, which builds about half as fast, had a
5400 RPM 6G HD while the others have 7200 RPM drives at 4G.

I did not expect the drive to make that much difference.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net