Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:50:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Anderson <partek@indecent.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and the Promise 2300+ EIDE controller

On Wed, 30 Aug 1995, Julian Elischer wrote:

> well the boot uses the BIOS to do it's work, so it's unlikely that it
> was unable to read anything...
> The bios got that far; it's unlikely to fail at that point..
> possibilities..
> your BIOS might use some non-standard memory location (e.g. just below 640K)
> that might be getting over-written in the boot.. (unlikely as we
> have cleared up most of those problems)

I tried with both the HDC's BIOS and using the PC's BIOS. I know the
controller's BIOS puts itself at the address DC000H. I'm not sure what
the normal BIOS uses..

> the MBR (block 0) might have inconsistant data in it..

I thought about that, but after 5 installs, don't you think the MBR would've
been written to right at least once?

> the disklabel might be incorrect

I don't quite understand this disklabel thing.. In 80 words or less(or
point me to a FAQ), what is it? :)

> from the install, if you do it a second time,
> does it find the partitions etc, from the previous attempt?
> (it won't know where to mount them, but it should at least find them..)

Yeah, it found them.

Thanks,
Dave