Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:35:43 +0200
From:      Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov@gmail.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Haswell support - Any updates?

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:15 PM, O. Hartmann
<ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 18:55:10 +0900
> "Lundberg, Johannes" <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> Looking at those pages it seems like development has basically been
>> standing still for the last couple of years.
>>
>> DragonFlyBSD claims to have support for Haswell, maybe it can work as a
>> stand-in while waiting for FreeBSD if you need the GPU for development or
>> something..
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I guess interested parties could keep an eye on
>> > https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-base-graphics/tree/drm-i915-update-38
>> > and https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> > Andreas

> [...]
>
> It seems FreeBSD has massive problems catching up with the progress in
> graphical device support. While "Linux" is concentrated on one single kernel
> development, the *BSD have drifted appart over the past decade. My
> feeling is that developers start focoussing on one specific *BSD due to the
> diversity in their basic architecture.

> FreeBSD lacks behind in WiFi chipset support, iGPU support, graphics support in
> general as GPUs has become more important over the past years in HPC
> environments and not only for displaying. That is a political issue, I guess.
> X11 is now claimed by the Linux folks - that is the impression I have - the
> spirit of a multiplatform, open system is gone. With systemd on Linux, even
> FreeBSD is falling more and more behind. I think this needs to be addressed
> on political terrain. Linux wanted to have ZFS - now they participate in
> OpenZFS. How long until those L-people move the BSD people aside?

ZFS was on Linux years ago, but only as a third-party solution, it
won't gain much traction there since kernel devs refuse to keep it in
the upstream kernel due to licensing issues and distribitions refuse
it install it by default, and people are either still waiting for the
vapourware Btrfs or losing heir data to it instead :-D. On FreeBSD,
ZFS is integrated into our tree (as is other outstanding CDDL licensed
software from Sun, like DTrace which puts Linux's systemtap to shame),
and we already boot from it :-). Oh and doesn't FreeBSD also
participate in OpenZFS?

Systemd is not so much "on Linux" nor a big success there, when
Slackware doesn't use it, Debian was forked to run without it, Gentoo
doesn't use it by default, and it is broadly hated to the degree that
it is driving Linux users to FreeBSD :-).

> Well, asking for Haswell support is a bit weird - Skylake ante portam.
> Broadwell is already there. Two years ago, we purchased Laptops with Haswell
> GPUs. They are now about to be replaced by Skylake-based systems. Running
> FreeBSD on Laptops with modern WiFi and iGPU hardware is almost impossible.
> Dead hardware or extremely slow. So we decided to switch to Linux.

Broadwell at best half-works on Linux and has major issues: crashes,
broken suspend/resume, poor support for multiple monitors, and broken
console view (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/intel-linux/809842-intel-has-a-ton-of-developers-working-on-their-linux-graphics-stack?p=809940#post809940).
NVidia on the other hand supports FreeBSD and works well.

Linux copies many WiFi drivers from OpenBSD.

Have you tried the WiFi card's Windows driver with NDISulator? What we
could also do in future is use a similar idea to use Linux WiFi
drivers on FreeBSD.

> Interesting to hear that DragonFlyBSD seems to have solved several iGPU issues
> and FreeBSD not.

Interesting how DragonFlyBSD only supports a single architecture: amd64.