Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:56:26 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel-for-Gateway2000 10/100 fxp problems

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 07:55:43AM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> >The problem is the cards are recognized and initialized. Everything is
> >perfect. Except they can't hear a thing off the wire. Or if they do
> >they don't communicate it back to FreeBSD. Can watch the NIC LED and
> >hub LED flash when emitting pings, and the target machine's NIC flash
> >as well (forgot, that might not be a good test as its on a hub not
> >switch).
>
> How recent is your copy of stable ? 4.4R has a bunch of changes to the fxp
> driver.

Is 4.4-RELEASE, The Final Edition.

> Try explicitly setting the media type. e.g.
> ifconfig fxp0 media 100baseT/UTP

Am on site. Plugged wire in and this is where I'm at. fxp0 is configured
manually via /etc/rc.conf altho that address isn't intended to be on
this net. And I can't copy/paste for email if the xl0 interface isn't up
and connected because fxp0 isn't working.

The intent for these machines (have 4 of them) is to go in remote
offices and connect to whatever network is there, autoconfigure that
interface via DHCP, but run its own DHCP server on the other interface
to buffer our company computers from others. And to provide a VPN back
to the home office. Right now they are little more than 4.4R's with
IPSEC on the kernel. Nothing else installed.

fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.100.254 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.100.255
        ether 00:03:47:0c:64:44
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
        status: active
xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:c0:4f:86:26:7b
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
        status: active

So in spite of the above fxp0 autoselecting correctly, there is reason
to suspect I should manually set the media? At the moment both NICs are
connected to the same hub.

/etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.100.254  netmask 255.255.255.0"

All things worth checking. All things I've done many times before.

Other question about the NT DHCP server, no, MAC addresses are not hard
coded. Its running loose and will issue an IP address to anything on its
network.

> >Is there something goofy going on such as this card such as irq-A/B or
> >??? Something simple? Maybe something to do with PnP?
>
> Make sure in the BIOS, plug and play OS is OFF

Dell Optiplex does not have that option.

> Yes, in the BIOS, disable "Boot from LAN"

That works for the built in NIC xl0 but doesn't disable the
"initializing" message from the Intel card. As I've mentioned earlier
have found updated firmware from Intel to try. Have also scrounged my
parts box at home and have (2) known good 82258 cards and (2) unknown
3c905 cards to try. Also remembered where I can try swapping cards in an
NT Workstation. One of 4 "new" cards does not bring up its interface at
all. No LED on NIC nor hub. So I do have a 25% failure rate already.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net