Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:29:16 -0600
From:      b0l6604@agen.tamu.edu (Bootsrapa Limanond)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   patch and re-build

Hi:

I would like to apply a patch to a source tree and rebuild a port.
The patch is only for a file in the source tree. What I did was I
applied the patch, using `patch' command and ran `make'. It looked like
`make' removed my source tree, created a new one based on the .tar.gz
file in the `distfiles' directory, and spent a couple of hours building
the `old' port from scratch.

Does `make' always unpack the `.tar.gz' file every time? Is there a way
around this? Better yet, what is a correct way to build from a patched
source tree?

Thank you very much,

Suttipan Limanond.