Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:21:40 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newfs for an fs with small files (qmail Maildir)

> I need to create an fs to hold thousands of small files (mails)

Most mail is very small.  The average size of my ~600M of (un-archived,
un-compressed) mail is 7350 bytes, but this is badly skewed by a few large
(multi-megabyte) files. Median file size is 4100 bytes, and almost exactly 90%
of them are smaller than 8192 bytes.

(Yes, I'm an mh-using packrat who's had the same homedir for 15 years. So sue
me).

I'd be tempted to use something like "newfs -b 4096 -f 512 -i 2048".

I have had a problem on my home dir (on a Solaris 2.6 box using standard
Solaris 8k/1k FFS) of getting "disk full" errors, even with heaps of space
free, because there were no free blocks, only fragments.

Using 16k blocks on a mail spool will almost certainly cause this sort of
problem, only worse.