Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:57:08 -0400
From:      Rob <rpd@core.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: top: nlist failed

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 02:56:07PM +0200, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 05:06:19AM -0700, Rob wrote:
> > [snip]
> >      $ top
> >      top: nlist failed
> >      $ swapinfo
> >      swapinfo: undefined symbol: _numvnodes
> >      $ vmstat
> >      vmstat: undefined symbols:
> >       _cp_time _kmemstatistics _bucket _zlist
> > [snip]
> >

> I had exactly the same problems after upgrading a machine from 3.4 to
> 4.1-stable.
> On this machine I had used the file /boot.config to load the kernel directly
> instead of letting loader(8) do it. When I removed that file (and rebooted)
> things worked correctly.
> I don't know why this worked in my case but it did.
> (If that is not the cause of your problem I am afraid I can't help you.)
>
> --
> <Insert your favourite quote here.>
> Erik Trulsson
> ertr1013@student.uu.se

     Thanks.  That did the trick, though I'm not exactly sure why.
It's time for me to examine my boot floppy to see if I can get it
to run /boot/loader automatically so I don't have to worry about it
any more.
     The good news: I now know what the problem is.  The bad news:
I wasted time upgrading to 4.1.  The good news: hey, I'm now running
an up-to-date system!  The bad news: now my sound card doesn't work!
Oh, well.

-Rob