Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:11:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        System Admin <kerberus@strictlyhosting.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAJOR DDOS

On Sun, 2 Apr 100, System Admin wrote:

> I belive i am experiencing a major DDOS on port 80 .... 40+ Megs
> inbound...... from all over, what is the fastest way to start protecting
> this machine ???? and alleviate some of this traffic under 3.4 ????

Not enough information.

Tell us something useful: is it a classic network-layer DoS such as a SYN
attack, TCP segment flood, etc?  Are real connections being built, are
these randomly sourced packets?  Are the source IPs randomized (unlikely
if real connections are being built)?  Is the limiting component here the
web server CPU/state management?  Router packet-pushing capacity?  Link
capacity?  Is the target the application level?

Before we can tell you anything that can help you defend yourself, you
need to tell us what the problem is.  How do you know you're being DoS'd?
Is it adversely affecting performance/etc, or is it something you can sit
out waiting for the attacker to get bored?

Someone else has already suggested you go to your up-stream provider(s).
This is a good idea--if you don't know what you're doing, there's a
greater chance that they have experience in the area, as it may also be
affecting their network performance et al, and would love to throttle the
attack stream if they knew that it wasn't legitimate.

If the attack is persistent and having serious effects, why haven't you
contacted law enforcement, who have lately been showing relatively serious
interest in tracking attacks such as these?  Have you been attempting to
gather evidence necessary for criminal prosecution, including packet
traces, etc?

  Robert N M Watson