Date:      Fri, 05 Oct 2001 15:48:42 +0200
From:      Mathieu Arnold <ma@absolight.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4

Hi

My corporate firewall is a 4.3-RELEASE-p19, I need the newest ipfilter code,
and I quite understood that there was no way to update only ipfilter, so I
believe I have to go to 4.4-RELEASE. My point is that this box should not go
down longer than 15/20 minutes because a lot of servers are behind and are
always used.
My question is can I safely update my sup file and replace RELENG_4_3 with
RELENG_4_4 cvsup, then make buildworld, kernel, installworld and
mergemaster. Or should I burn a 4.4-RELEASE CD and use it to do a binary
upgrade (which is the only kind of upgrade I've ever done).
As far as I understand, cvsup and make would be the best way to get the max
uptime as I'll just have to reboot to use the new kernel and after the
mergemaster. I'd also like to know if I can burn my cd, mount it, launch the
sysinstall on the cd and do a binary upgrade while the system is in use (I
believe not, but who knows:).

I do have to upgrade because I believe there is a memory leak somewhere in
the kernel, and I'd like to get the latest version before complaining to
someone (see http://www.absolight.fr/mat/ipf/ which is some graphs of ipf
values and M_TEMP usage).
--
Mathieu Arnold