Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:02:08 -0500
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        js43064n@stmail.pace.edu
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whats the difference between -STABLE & -RELEASE?

Jonathan Slivko wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>      Sorry for sounding like a newbie, but whats the difference between FreeBSD -RELEASE & FreeBSD -STABLE? From what I understand, the source tree is a little more conservative in what it lets through. Am I correct in assuming that? -- Jonathan M. Slivko
>
> P.S. Again, sorry for sounding like a newbie.

No.  This is a very good question and misunderstood by a lot of people.

FreeBSD-STABLE, right now is 4.x, is the set of code that is supposed to
only have minimal developement of existing features and security fixes.
It is aimed at production servers.  This is not a guarentee but a goal.
The release version go through an extra step of no code changes with out
approval from the Release Engineer for about 3 weeks before being
created.  This, hopefully, ensures the absolute best code set for
shipping on CD for installation.

I am sure this is also covered in the handbook,
http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .