Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:56:01 -0500
From:      Michael W.Holdeman <ptfd9100@beanstalk.net>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VMWare2vs Win4Lin(BSD)

On Thursday 21 March 2002 10:48, you wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Michael W.Holdeman wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:35:29 -0500
> > From: Michael W.Holdeman <ptfd9100@beanstalk.net>
> > To: Travis L. Leuthauser <travis@bbipmail.com>
> > Cc: "FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>"
> >     <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
> > Subject: Re: VMWare2vs Win4Lin(BSD)
> >
> > Well after finally getting everything squared away for VM, VMware has
> > informed me that there are no evaluation licenses available for 2.0,. I
> > guess with no port for 3.0 yet, that kinda is that!
> >

> > guess its time to research Win4Lin a little more. Anyone interested in
> > this??
>
> <...>
>
> I run Win4Lin on my laptop under RedHat. I have for a while as some of the
> crap we have to use at work is win32-only like Lotus Smartsuite <gag> and
> Notes <uber-gag>.
>
> It's a great app but I'm unsure how it would work under BSD as it requires
> patching the Linux kernel for proper operation.
Correct, Really a great system, but  Sofar I can't get Netraverse interested.
I think if we had enough members express interest it might be different. I'd
like to get ahold of some of the Trelos folks, I can remember working with
them on W4L 1.0 getting a difficult app to run,.
It seems that W4L's roots are in teh Merge system that ran Win 3.1 stuff
under Unix. I would think with the better controll over kernels and lib's
under FreeBSD it would really be better for their support teams anyway!

I'd like to build some interest in this and take it to Netraverse.

Even to find some programming folks who would be willing to research a port,
someone who knows the kernel operations.

Mike