Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:20:14 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1043958015.0779ed@mired.org>
To:        "Remington L." <madriax@garlic.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB Printer setup

In <3E32EFA6.5060306@garlic.com>, Remington L. <madriax@garlic.com> typed:
> FreeBSD bathory.aria 4.7-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p3 #1: Thu Jan
> 23 11:12:16 PST 2003
> root@bathory.aria:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TheGateV1  i386
>
> For the past few days ive been attempting to set up my printer and i've
> had no luck. I have a HP Deskjet 3420, "ulpt0: hp deskjet 3420, rev
> 2.00/1.00, addr 3, iclass 7/1". This morning i set up my /etc/printcap
> like this:

Is the quoted string from dmesg? If not, what are you getting from
dmesg for ulpt0?

> # HP Deskjet 3420
> lp|lj|HP Deskjet 3420:\
>     :lp=/dev/ulpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
>     :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:mx#0:\
>     :if=/usr/local/libexec/lpfilter:\
>
> I also edited my /etc/rc.conf to
> lpd_enable="YES"
>
> And then i rebooted and tried to print something: cat /etc/rc.conf >
> /dev/ulpt0
> And nothing printed. Any suggestions on what i'm doing wrong?

Two possibilities here. When this happened to me, the USB device
shared an IRQ with another device. Changing that solved the problem.

The other is that the printer is a Winprinter, meaning that it can't
print simple ascii text, but has to be fed a rendered image of the
page. if ghostscript has a driver for the printer, you might try
something like:

enscript -o - /etc/rc.conf | gs -sOutputFile=/dev/ulpt0 -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=...

with ... replaced by the appropriate device driver and any
driver-specific flags you may want to use.

	<mike