Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:30:03 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-ports@freefall.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   graphics/sane scanner frontend

The sane (0.61) port is marked BROKEN. it says it doesn't link
against our gtk.

Since I'm running gimp/gtk the very latest it seems that
sane-0.71 could be made working with little effort.

I compiled and linked everything and there were only some
minor nits:

1\ sanei/sanei_ab306.c:

static __inline__ void
outb (u_char value, u_long port)
{
  __asm__ __volatile__ ("outb %0,%1" : : "a" (value), "d" ((u_short) port));
}                                            ^     ^

parens missing (I'm not sure whether putting parens there changes
something but I believe not)

2\   patch-01/patch-02 applied by hand.

3\   sanei/sanei_scsi.c:

#if USE == BSD_INTERFACE

# ifndef HAVE_SCSIREQ_ENTER           <<<<<< this is defined in config.h
static int
scsireq_enter (int fd, scsireq_t *hdr)
{
  return ioctl (fd, SCIOCCOMMAND, hdr);
}
# endif /* !HAVE_SCSIREQ_ENTER */

resulting later in scsireq_enter not being found.

I don't know too much about the scsi library that I can tell
whether the above substitution is allowed. undefining
HAVE_SCSIREQ_ENTER gets it compiled and linked.

Now the harder part:

What is this libtool horror? This seems to me the greatest mess
since Bill Gates invented the DLL.

Anyway, seems we have to live with that. But libtool all the time
says something about a buggy linker and finally the front- and backends
do not get correctly installed.

The wrapper /usr/local/bin/xscanimage doesn't find the binary in
/usr/local/bin/.libs.

Is the port maintainer co-reading?