Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 2006 21:54:21 +0900 (JST)
From:      KIMURA Yasuhiro <yasu@utahime.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange behavior of OPTIONS setting

Hello.

While setting up newly installed 6.1-RELEASE-p11 box, I found strange
behavior of OPTIONS setting.

Let's assume port A and port B meet following conditions:

* A depends on B.
* Both A and B have OPTIONS setting.
* Either A or B are never installed yet. That is, there are no saved
  options files for these ports under /var/db/ports.

Some examples of A and B are:

* sysutils/portupgrade and lang/ruby18
* textproc/hyperestraier and databases/qdbm

Now cd to the directory of port A, type 'make install' and see what
happens. Expected behavior is, I believe, dialog of options setting
should be invoked for both A and B (though I am not sure which should
be first). But what really happens is that dialog is invoked only for
A, and that B is installed without options setting.

Because I tried some other cases which meat conditions of A and B, and
results are same as described above in all cases, I think this
behavior is not depend on any specific port but depend on OPTIONS
handling itself.

Does anyone know why this happens? Is something wrong with my
enviroment setting? Is it bug of bsd.ports.mk or somethin else? Or,
though I hope this is not the case, is this right behavior of OPTIONS
setting?

Regards.

---
KIMURA Yasuhiro