Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:21:07 +0100
From:      albi <albi@scii.nl>
To:        Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: 1 cpu + 2 monitors + 2 keybord/mouse + FreeBSD, is it possible??

Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:

>    FreeBSD is multi-user right?

yes

> I know this setup but
> only when other users are logging in remotely via
> another pc. I just want to know if it is possible for
> me to just buy 1 more monitor, a mouse and a keyboard
> and just dig a hole between my brother's room and mine
> and share with him my pc. I really wanted him to learn
> the inner workings of computer, but we cannot afford
> to buy another computer. Used computers are cheaper
> but not as cheap as just buying another used monitor
> and a keyboard. I've heard something like a dumb
> terminal but I guess it still requires another cpu.

i've been looking for a similar thing, and i know it's possible for
linux, as you can see here :

http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/
http://www.scii.nl/projects/3hm/

the idea is to have more than 1 extra videocard in the machine and then
use 2 or more keyboards and mice, personally i think this is a great
hack and i've been searching for something like that for FreeBSD but
have not found it

one other thing you can do however is to get yourself at least a
pentiumI with 32 Mb RAM and a NIC with PXE and make that a diskless
client attached to your machine

see here :
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-diskless.html
http://www.the-labs.com/FreeBSD/Diskless/