Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 17:11:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mr D Whitehead <davew@sees.bangor.ac.uk>
To:        questions@Freebsd.org
Subject:   mountd a question and a suggestion

Hi,
	I've just been configuring and testing a new machine and I've
had some time consuming problems with mountd and the exports file.

Firstly let me state this _is_not_a_complaint_ they are both working
as documented.  The problems were caused by our fairly complex export
restrictions which are based on a set of (Sun based) NIS netgroups.
Over time two invalid host name entries had been acquired (one typeo
and one failure to remove an obsolete host name) this caused our Suns
no problems, presumably the duff host names were silently ignored.
The situation with the FreeBSD machine was completely different, it
seems that any line in the exports file that has any kind of problem
prevents mountd from exporting the intended filesystem.  The problems
were logged, /var/log/messages had a message stating that xxxxx was
a bad line and another message stating that gethostbyname had failed.
Under the circumstances while better than nothing neither message
was particularly helpfull. It would have been much better if I had
been told which host gethostbyname was having trouble with.

Question:  I was using 2.1.0-R has the code been changed/improved in
later versions.

Suggestion(s):
1)	The gethostbyname error message should indicate what was being
looked up.
2)	If a gethostbyname failure occures the code should ignore this
particular host (while complaining in a very loud voice) and continue
to process the list so that the other hosts will have the filesystem
available.

I'm makeing this suggestion because even well administered sites suffer
from bad typing from time to time and the loss of service that this
could cause the next time the machine is rebooted could be very big.
If the particular case outlined above had occured on an in service
machine a large group of users would have lost access to their home
directories for the 6 working hours it took me to fully revalidate
the netgroup file.

--
Dave Whitehead
EMAIL:-					| TELEPHONE (work):-