Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 22:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      scex <scex@dqc.org>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shell history

> >>	Once can just "cp" the executable.

> >But in order to 'cp' you must be able to read.

> >Why have more permissions than needed?

> 	Uhm.. I don't have to read. If I want to execute something and it
> is in my path, I just "cp `which vi` ./..." and then "./..."

> 	Taking away read permissions from directories such as /bin, /sbin
> and etc. is just security through obscurity IMHO unless you are doing some
> other things such as trusted path execution, chroot'ed environment, etc.

[scex@twist] [~]$ cd bin
[scex@twist] [bin]$ ll bash
-rwx------  1 scex  users  - 389120 Aug 20 03:31 bash*
[scex@twist] [bin]$ chmod 711 bash
[scex@twist] [bin]$ ll bash
-rwx--x--x  1 scex users   - 389120 Aug 20 03:31 bash*
[scex@twist] [bin]$ su nobody
Password:
[nobody@twist] [bin]$ cp bash /tmp/...
cp: bash: permission denied

no-one's talking about taking away read permissions from directories
(although that also has its applications); you have to have read
permission on a file to be able to copy it (unless you fancy mucking
around in /proc & streams).

scex