Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 16:37:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        clund@sdphu3.ucsd.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: An installation question

Christopher P Lund stands accused of saying:

> I hate to be a bother on what is likely a straightforward question, but I

No bother - that's what this list is all about...

> am at wits end on this matter.  I am relatively new to UNIX systems and
> completely new to FreeBSD.  I want to install FreeBSD on a second
> partition on my hard drive (1 Gig WD drive, Pentium-90 system).  I got the
> bin files and the floppies files for release 2.0.5.  I put the bin files in
> c:\freebsd\bin (I also tried c:\freebsd, I wasn't clear on the matter), the
> floppies files in c:\freebsd\floppies, and used rawrite to put boot.flp on

freebsd\bin and freebsd\floppies is right.  1G disk - are you using
Disk Manager or something similar?

> a floppy disk.  I booted from the disk, used the setup program to create the
> partition, setup slices, chose the "User" install, "DOS Partition" media, and
> committed.  Everything appeared to be going fine when I got the message
>     "Failed to load the ROOT distribution.
>      Please correct this problem and try again."

In the options menu, enable the Extra Debugging flag, and when you get
this error, hit Alt-F2 to swap to the debugging screen, and see if there's
anything there that looks helpful.  You can hit ScrollLock and use
the cursor keys to scroll back up and look at what happened previously
as well.

> My only other clue as to what was going on was when I tried to quit.  My
> understanding of root.flp is that it is a gzipped file.  From what I could
> decipher on the screen, it appears that a problem occured in attempting to
> unpack this file.

Without the exact error message, I can't help more on that.

> Help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Not a problem; we'll get you sorted, I hope 8)

> 				- Christopher Lund

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[