Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:16:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Fuhrman <cfuhrman@tfcci.com>
To:        Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Identity theft

Howdy,

I've been having my personal address forged into the From, Reply-To, and
envelope receipt fields of pieces of spam since mid-march now.  At first,
I got back about 150 or so bounces but then they subsided and even the
ones that I did get were filtered out by my anti-spam filters.

Unfortunately, I then ran into some other problems.  If you have ever had
the displeasure of using hotmail or AOL, these services have the ability
to block based on the sender, which is, IMHO, completely useless.  I have
a number of friends whom I e-mail on hotmail and AOL on a fairly regular
basis and started to discover I was being blocked :(

A couple of days ago, I finally bit the bullet and deprecated my personal
e-mail address, which is only going to be used on mailing lists and web
pages from now on.  Needless to say, I'm PRETTY DAMN TORKED!

Just a couple of other things:

pobox.com, an e-mail forwarding service, has been great throughout this
whole ordeal.  I told them that my address was being forged and they made
a note of it.  They also have some anti-spam filters which most likely
kept the bulk of the bounces off my e-mail box.

I also use Catherine Hampton's SpamBouncer (http://www.spambouncer.org) to
help filter anything that makes it through pobox.com.  It's a
procmail-based system that blocked most of the bounces I received.

Good luck dealing with the identity theft.  It's a royal pain.

Cheers!

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Konstantinos Konstantinidis wrote:

> "G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:
> >
> > Some damn spammer has just stolen my identity!
> >
> There is nothing more annoying than a list you participate into
> getting spammed with a forged email using *your* domain. Very,
> very nasty, and it happened very recently to me, with one of
> my private domains :(
>
> Anyway, having spam bounce back to you is absolutely evil.

- --
Chris Fuhrman           | Twenty First Century Communications
cfuhrman@tfcci.com      | Software Engineer
(W) 614-442-1215 x271   |
(F) 614-442-5662        | PGP/GPG Public Key Available on Request