Date:      Mon, 4 May 2009 12:09:32 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Ray <ray@stilltech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount smbfs share without requiring manual password

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Ray <ray@stilltech.net> wrote:

> On May 4, 2009 09:31:09 am Ryan van Eerdewijk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a strange issue. If I type:
> >
> > mount_smbfs //theuser@theserver/myshare$ /mnt/here
> >
> > ... I will be prompted for theuser's password, I type it, and the share
> > will mount fine. But I want this share to mount automatically at bootup.
> > haven't been able to get it to work through /etc/fstab or through an sh
> > script. In fact typing:
> >
> > mount_smbfs -N //theuser@theserver/myshare$ /mnt/here
> >
> > gives me the following error:
> >
> > mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error
> >
> > I have the following in my /etc/nsmb.conf file:
> >
> > [theserver]
> > workgroup=MYWORKGROUP
> > addr=10.10.10.10
> >
> > [theserver:theuser]
> > password=$$1571crypto'dpassword
> >
> > I get the feeling that when mounting the smbfs share, it isn't even
> > checking the nsmb.conf file. I've also tried a plain text password, and
> > also including the same information in a /root/.nsmbrc file.
> >
> > I'm running out of ideas. Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ryan V.
>
> Hi Ryan,
> What  You have is very similar to what I use, except I don't use the -N
> Flag
> on mount_smbfs.
> Ray

A friend recently had this problem and it was due to capitalization.

IIRC, the username in the nsmb.conf file needs to be in all caps, whereas
the username that is given to the server is actually lowercase, or vice
versa.  It was found by a google search and just due to caps alone.

Try toggling the caps, I know, odd fix, but it worked for my friend

--Tim