Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 16:01:13 +0000
From:      Arron.Scott@ncl.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP OmniBook Xe2,XF86,320x200,Trident CyberBlade 17

Hi,

I've installed FreeBSD release 4.2RELEASE onto an HP OmniBook Xe2 laptop
(model number F2068W). It's an AMD K6/2+, 550 MHz with a Trident Cyberblade
17 graphics controller. In case I've missed something off:
http://www.hp.com/notebooks/us/eng/products/omnibook_xe2/omnibook_xe2_specifications.htm

No matter how I try and configure the X server (XF86Setup, shell script or
manually), I always get 320x200 display.  I've tried to follow various tips
I've found on the web, though none of them are for this exact model of the
Xe2/graphics card.

Incidentally, just as a *test*, I tried a few other distros that use a
graphical installer. There is no problem in displaying these ... it's only
when I try configuring the X server that I get a "squashed" display.

Interrupting the server shows: SVGA:PCI:Trident Cyberblade/i7/
SVAG:chipset: generic SVGA: videoram: 8192k SVGA:clocks:25.18 SVGA: 8bpp,
Depth 8 SVGA:Using builtin driver modes SVGA:Builtin mode 320x200
SVGA:Virtual resolution set to 320x204

I know this particular laptop has certain hardware limitations - these PCs
are classed as "budget range" - but if I could have some form of X/ up and
running then that would be a real bonus.

Thanks in advance

arron