Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 18:02:34 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Dan Harty <kane@accesscomm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I did bad things to my disk

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Dan Harty wrote:

> I have had 4 OS's split equally on two hard drives on my machine for
> some time now,OS/2 WinCrap95, FreeBSD and NT. I haven't used NT in
> months so I decided to take over it's partition and split it into two to
> be mounted on /compat and /freespace. I ran sysinstall and used the
> dispart and disklabel program (Apparantly incorrectly as the machine
> wigged and did a sync and reboot) when it came back, the BSD bootmanager
> cannot find the kernel, my question is, if I originally had two
> partitions on this drive (NT and FreeBSD, in that order) and converted
> NT to a FreeBSD partition, does that relabel the current FreeBSD
> partitions?
> IE, would sd1a change to sd1b ?

No! Your situation is much worse!

The FreeBSD boot code *always* expects the root filesystem to be on
partition 'a' of the *first* BSD slice on the disk. Now, what used to be
the first BSD slice on your disk now became the second (because there's a
new BSD slice in front of it), so the boot code cannot find the root
partition. Having two FreeBSD slices on the same disk is a mess. Avoid it
at all costs. If it cannot be avoided, you should probably make a new
installation into the first slice, then copy important things from the
original root filesystem to the new one, modifying /etc/fstab to use the
original partitions.

> --
> Generic Duck and Weave:
> The above expressed views do not reflect those of BMC Software or
> their subsidiaries unless otherwise noted.
> Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
> build bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the Universe trying
> to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
> 						        --(Rich Cook)

Nadav