Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 22:28:11 -0500
From:      "Charles Pelletier" <fozekizer@attbi.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "win" modems.. anyway at all to use them?

you have to remember that winmodems tend to misbehave even in windows. I
have a Diamond Supra 56i SP that I've had for years and will keep as backup.
It always configured correctly in Windows, FreeBSD and RedHat (as cuaa1 or 0
depending on how i set it up.)  I don't know terribly much about the PCMCIA
modems as I don't own a laptop but it has been my experience with winmodems
that the more you spend the better off the modem tends to be. Stick with
name brands and definitely stay away from the generic modems as there is
usually little or no support for them..in ANY OS.
To answer your question, though, modems should not have to be on a COM port
any higher than 2 as far as I know. As a troubleshooting measure, have you
tried this modem in a Windows environment just to make sure it works?
--charlie pelletier
--litmus(mp3.com/litmus)