Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 20:25:43 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM image

> #define quoting(Mike Smith)
> // The only people I see actually finding this useful are those that are :
> //
> //  - sophisticated enough to have a CD burner and some hope of driving it
> //  - too short on resources to cut their own release
> //  - too stupid to wait a little while and *buy* the damn disk when it
> //    is released by WC
>
> Don't forget those with the burner, too sloppy to learn how to make
> release (is it really easy now ?) and living in a country with
> stupid import taxes and (snail) mailing system.  (ME !!!)

You didn't claim to have poor 'net connectivity.  Why not download the
files and burn your own release?  8)

(Yes, building a release is a piece of the proverbial yellow stuff,
 providing you have the requisite space and time.)

> Just for the sake of my curiosity, would it work to make a symlink to
> /dev/rcd0c and leave the CD in drive ?

You'd end up with a symlink to /dev/rcd0c and a disk in the drive.  If
that qualifies as "working", then yes, it'd work.

> // I think we could save these three guys some effort by buying them a
> // beer and stealing their hardware.
>
> Change beer for some cola, and we may deal.  :)

Sure; I don't drink the stuff much (beer), so it's mostly good for
bribing people with.

mike