Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:48:22 +0200
From:      "tonix (Antonio Nati)" <tonix@interazioni.it>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proliant ML310 ata devices on FreeBSD 4.0

At 11/04/03 11/04/03 +1200, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:01:36AM +0200, tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
> >
> > I must move a FreeBSD 4.0 system to a brand new computer.
> >
> > I have problems, because the target computer, Compaq Proliant ML310T, has
> > an onboard ATA controller that is not handled by FreeBSD 4.0.
> >
> > I may compile a new kernel, but I cannot upgrade the system to other
> > versions, so I need to find a fast solution.
> >
> > Is there any suggestion? Any kernel change in order to see the
> > LSI/ServerWorks controller?
> > I see that FreeBSD 4.6 handles that controller, but I don't know what I
> > should change/add in kernel, in order to have it working.
>
>Why can't you install FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE on the new machine and
>transfer the data over?

Because I have a lot of applications/product to reinstall and test, and I
can't do that now. All produsts are upgraded to the latest and safest
version, but there are too many customization that could force me, now, to
a long stop during migration.

So, now, I prefer to move all "as is".

After I'll solve this problem, I can plan a two weeks period in which I may
do all without hurry.

Now I need just a standard PCI IDE controller.

Tonino

         Inter@zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
    http://www.interazioni.it      tonix@interazioni.it