Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:24:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Aloha Guy <alohaguy123@yahoo.com>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap file vs swap partition

What I actually meant was, I know in the old days, if you had 128MB, you wa=
nt a 256MB swap but with 2GB RAM, isn't 4GB going to be overkill for a swap=
 or are you saying that a 2GB swap will work?  I'm still lost on the ratio =
since I thought the 2x was only if you had like small amounts of RAM.=0A=0A=
John=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: Scott Long <scottl@samsco.=
org>=0ATo: Aloha Guy <alohaguy123@yahoo.com>=0ACc: questions@freebsd.org; c=
urrent@freebsd.org=0ASent: Sunday, February 4, 2007 2:28:47 PM=0ASubject: R=
e: swap file vs swap partition=0A=0A=0AAloha Guy wrote:=0A> Thanks for the =
input.  You do have good points.  The only issue with =0A> swap partitions =
is that it seems like you need to increase it everytime =0A> you increase t=
he physical memory.  Is there a swap partition size limit =0A> that pretty =
much will handle anything and setting a number larger than =0A> that will r=
eally not offer anything?=0A>  =0A> John=0A=0A=0AProcessors and memory have=
 vastly outpaced the speed of disks; any=0Aamount of swapping is going to b=
e percieved as being very slow and=0Asomething that should be avoided.  Sin=
ce RAM is also very cheap now,=0Amost people just load enough RAM into thei=
r system to handle their load,=0Aand then configure enough swap to hold a c=
rashdump of that RAM.  You=0Aalways want swap so that you can handle unexpe=
cted spikes in load=0Awithout crashing, but it's less of an integral piece =
of normal system=0Aoperation these days.=0A=0AScott=0A=0A=0A =0A___________=
=0AIt's here! Your new message!  =0AGet new email alerts with the free Yaho=
o! Toolbar.=0Ahttp://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/