Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2018 12:05:29 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        Christos Chatzaras <chris@cretaforce.gr>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Toshiba disk low performance

On 06/07/18 11:54, Christos Chatzaras wrote:
> I test it with 3 different servers with Toshiba HDDs. The disks are new, only few hours in usage. I don't think they have any bad sectors.

This is exactly why we have virtually no Toshiba hard drives around.
Also, neither of vendors who build machines which we buy uses Toshiba
drives. And once we notice hardware from some vendor does not behave
decently over time (about 6 years is a must), we abandon such vendor for
good.

"Pricegrabber" is your enemy when hardware is concerned. Once someone
stated it so well, that I just keep repeating it. If you can spend
10-15% more but get definitely good reliable hardware, do it. Otherwise
you will pay much more with your time, and will pay to replace failed
hardware soon as well.

But alas, the market is driven by mass customer who does not care about
the above, and keeps paying what looks like much less for something that
is not worth it.

Valeri